So, to proceed:
1. I know Kristi will be disappointed if I don't talk a bit about my birthday here. And it was a happy day. Chocolate cake in the morning and fun unexpected deliveries of flowers from my parents and a sweet gift from an aunt and uncle who are very dear to me.
2. Then, an impromptu dinner choice (after discovering the place The Dude had planned on was closed) that turned out to be serve excellent and original Thai food.
3. A new scarf and a ticket to hear Glennon Doyle Melton speak this February from The Dude! That woman can hardly speak but I start nodding, and in order to get to TX in time to hear her speak, I get to prolong our February trip to see my parents! This man knows me, let me tell you. A fun and unexpected gift!
4. Maggie got to stay up until we came home, and then we all shared chocolate cake. For unknown Maggie-particular reasons, she did not want to sing Happy Birthday but was willing to sing Frances' version of Happy Chompo To Me. For those who aren't familiar with Frances the badger, this version is what she sang at her sister's birthday party (until her conscience got the best of her). A Chompo is a candy bar and her gift to her sister.
Happy Chompo to meMaybe I should be insulted, but I only find it charming. I love any hint that literature is memorable to my children. And for lovers of Frances (Dyanne), I enjoyed this article.
Is how it ought to be.
Happy Chompo to Frances,
Happy Chomp to me.
5. I received three new books from my sister and read The Fault in our Stars cover to cover in two days. It's a heartbreaker, that one, with a very compelling love story.
6. And extremely productive trip to the Op Shop where I scored the materials for a new jewelry organizer (thank you, Pinterest), a new lamp for Leo's room, and sundry other items. All for $13.50, thankyouverymuch.
7. I ate both pork belly and pig tails for the first time in my life. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but I'd somehow missed out on those two. Verdict? Pork belly: dee-licious; pig tails: rubbery, bland, and skippable.
8. I have actually gotten Leo to nap three times this week. It has taken Herculean strength of purpose and the patience of something extremely patient (not Job, don't give me Job), but I have triumphed. I have won in a battle of wills with a twenty-two-month-old. I am a GODDESS!
9. I had a great catch-up phone conversation with an old friend this week. I have to amp myself up for phone calls; I get a rush of adrenaline from the pressure of being social, and then feel exhausted afterward. But it was a lovely conversation, full of catching up and planning their visit next summer! I also came out of the blog closet to her so maybe she'll read this and feel complimented.
10. Lizzi has waved her magic wand and appointed amycakeandthedude as the official clubhouse of the Green-Eyed Gang. Look for a post next week, and if you're a green-eyer, you should send me a pic so you can play along!